Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stepping out

Today we tried out a new church.  I have been so excited to go and was even more excited that it was just down the road from our house!  Score!  On the recommendation of a friend, we walked into Faith Evangelical Church this morning.  We were greeted by some really lovely people who genuinely wanted us to feel welcome.  Mission accomplished.  The kiddos had a great time in the nursery and in Sunday school.  Nate even ran into an old friend from Florence!  And we have dinner plans with a sweet family Tuesday night.  It was just a lovely experience.

What I wasn't planning for was the huge slap of reality that showed up during the service.  "I've really left home.  I'm really not surrounded by my friends.  There are NO familiar faces anywhere.  No memories of this building or any other for that matter.  I really left."  And I'm not sure why this reality didn't surface sooner.  During the service, apparently, was the perfect time for it to appear.

To be honest, I had the mindset to hide underneath the blankets for the next couple years.  Then, we'd come home and join right in where we had left off.   I wasn't thinking actively about making new friends and getting involved.  My mind was set on coming home.  But with all the sweet people coming up to us and wanting to help get us plugged in, I realized that I have to crawl out of bed.  I have to pull back the covers and make a new life here.  And realizing that, strangely has made me a little sad.  I feel that I am abandoning my friends.  My family.  Everything I know. 

Sitting in the service today, listening to a new pastor, just made everything real.  We have left our home, our friends and our family.  But we will return.  We need to make a life here with new friends and a new church family not only for our sanity, but for our kids.  I'm not forgetting my life back home, but just trying to make the time away as pleasant as can be.  Although I'm sad, I need to embrace all the greatness that is coming with this change in our lives.  And I think with this new church, it's going to be just lovely.  Watch out Faith E.....the Schultz family has arrived!

1 comment:

  1. That would be crazy and scary to face that reality, we will be praying for you all Bridget! I'm so glad that that visit to that church was an encouraging experience for that reason! God is good!

    ReplyDelete