Sunday, April 10, 2011

A little goes a long way

I want to give my children EVERYTHING.  Whether it be the nicest clothes or the coolest toys, whatever they want, I want to be able to give it to them.  Maybe this is why God didn't make me a millionare.  He knows that I would be buying up everything in Toys R Us. 

I know that things aren't what's important in a child's life.  Quite frankly, it has little to do with the people they become.  The amazing feeling of giving something new to my kids and seeing their faces light up is simply priceless.  But now, as I sit here as a stay at home mom, our budget is quite tight with only the one income.  Being able to go out and buy a new toy or a new outfit for the kids is something that we need to save up for and plan.  It's not just, hop in the car and go to the store.  It's thought out.  It's a process. 

I have been wanting to paint Ayla's room for years.  Sadly, yes.  Years.  But working full time has really put a crunch on my time.  After working forty hours a week, the last thing I wanted to come home and do was WORK.  Spend more time away from my babies.  Umm...no.  So, after almost FOUR years of boring tan walls, we decided it was time to spruce up Ayla's room.  She had told us she wanted a pink room, so of course we had to honor that.  And who doesn't want to paint their daughter's room pink?!  After saving up for a couple weeks, I bought the paint and all the necessary supplies, shipped the kiddos to their grandparent's house and went crazy.  When Ayla came home and opened the door to her room, she was shocked!  The smile on her face was incredible.  She could hardly believe it was HER room.  She was completely awestruck.

Tonight as I tucked her in to bed, she thanked me for her beautiful new room.  Twice to be exact.  She was still so excited.  Her little face was filled with joy as she took one last look at everything before we turned out the lights.  I wish I could give her that feeling of joy every night.  But then again, if we showered her with gifts and surprises everyday, these moments wouldn't be as special.  She probably wouldn't be as thankful for the little things in life.  So, I guess I'm ok not being a millionare.  Being on a tight budget may not be all that bad.  I appreciate 'giving' more now since I really have to plan and save.  And because of that, it makes moments like tonight so incredibly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment